In my case:
- Press button
- Connect to wifi
- Send event to AWS SQS
- AWS Lambda spins up a NodeJS instance to process the request
- NodeJS calls a NodeJS instance running in my house, telling it to 'turn on kitchen and dining room lights' via a restful API
- NodeJS adds that command to its queue, which resides back out in the AWS cloud
- NodeJS pulls that command back down from cloud, processes it and sends two restful commands to my ISY-994i (lighting controller), one for each lighting scene
- ISY-994i initiates a scene change for each room, waiting for the switches to acknowledge receipt of change command.
- Lights turns on.